Noise Sensitivity Protocol
Thunder and fireworks and motorcycles, oh my! Is your dog nervous about noises? Help them restore their confidence.
- Desensitize and counter condition
- Have high value treats ready.
- Start by making a noise that your dog is afraid of, but at a very quiet level and immediately reward your dog. You can readily find audio of sounds like thunder and fireworks online.
- As she is calm with the low level noise gradually make the sound louder, stopping if she won’t eat or starts to panic, and going back to a softer sound.
- Make it a priority to expose puppies to new sights and sounds while young. This will decrease the chance of him developing a fear down the road
- If you can’t avoid the noise (think thunderstorms and fireworks) be sure your dog has a safe place like a crate or small room he can escape to if needed.
- Use the radio or TV to drown out the noise.
- Provide a high value, long lasting treat (stuffed Kong, favorite chew) to occupy him
- Try a wrap/shirt or natural supplements that are specifically designed to calm your dog
- If she is extremely stressed discuss medication with your vet